Saturday, February 2, 2008

we do live in a material world

Material Girl

When it comes down to it, I guess I’m more
Material girl than I realized.
My physical routine earns much in praise.

The nail file I use too often to count,
Accompanied by the tiny clippers
And my cuticle trimmers, of course.

Together occupy my boredom and
Engage my twaking[1], trembling fingers.
Permit me to produce a perfection

Unbeknownst to my fault remainder.
I cloudclump[2] my lashes with mascara,
Another aspect of making the mask.

An ultra fine line from corner to corner
Performs back-up for the “volumized[3]” lashes
The ultimate finale to the façade.

My gratitude for the priced yet priceless
Leaps and bubbles and bounds every day
The effort of upkeep creates more daily.

The devision[4] of layers is vital
For those who struggle with revelation
Without them my self[5] would be pale, unkempt.

Prayers of inexpressible thanks whisper
Words too frightful for their speaker to hear
As relief slowly seeps out of each pore.

Thanks for covering Thanks for covering
Thanks for smothering thanks for silencing
Thanks for masking and for not demanding

Anything of the wearer-user
Except the wear and use of the priced
Yet priceless, items aforementioned.



[1] Twitching + shaking

[2] The lack of space between cloud and clump is intentional

[3] The adjective meaning “having volume”

[4] The act of devising

[5] Read: my person

No comments: