Saturday, February 2, 2008

a quick drive to the Greek isles

Driving began over a map of the metaphysical Midwest
Filling me with starry lakes and swaying silos.
A symphony of praise to CO and O
for functioning my hearty colored cells.

And O you thank Triton for your bottled glory
Without we would melt into one with the pelt.
While praising the elements of chocolate and grapes
I take off from the E chord and free stroke to the moon.

No more is needed for days touched with brightness
Than magenta thoughts of those who think of your eyes.
I praise Daguerre[1] for his passion of capturing images.
I praise Naismith[2] for saving me from boredom
And saving my brothers from gruesome injuries.

No amount of goodness could go to the writers who
Spoiled my mind with imagination and wonder.
I praise pages and ink and fresh flowers and redwoods,
I praise wit and sass and charity and naps.

I fly kites in tribute to Austen and Barrie
And sing poems in tribute to Alcott and Stevenson.
I happily acknowledge the laughs of children
Their minds are wild with untouched adventures.

I praise wind for sending my sails to Lesbos
And finding me passion tangled in sheets with my Sappho.
Thank you lighting for the puzzle of tie-dye and
A delicate bow to the THC Ministry.
And no doubt remember the comforts of Coke.

I will handshake every atom for its patience
And smile at every stitch on my baseball.
Shout Irish prayers and kneel before scraps of potatoes
Until I collapse in happiness with the sun at my back.

[1] Inventor of the camera.
[2] Inventor of the game of basketball, also football helmets.

No comments: