Saturday, February 2, 2008

Hymn of Praise

O, omnipotent God who made all things
(and if not made, inspired in the minds
of Men, your most flawed yet inventive
creatures) let me give thanks for all that
you have created to make my life more blessed.
Praise and thanks, first, for that little beast who roams
the carpet jungle of this home.
[1] Small, grey and white
she lurks, granting purrs and nuzzles only to
those she judges worthy—she, it seems, you
also gave the dangerous gift of free will.
Though, when it comes, much more deserved her love
does feel (as with yours, when prayers are answered.)
Next on my list to thank you for, on this
day you created, is a small but helpful
tool.
[2] And though technology itself, it frees
me from the mental chains that glowing box
(trance-inducing, schedule-interrupting)
has so often wrapped around my time. Now
free to choose, myself, when I enjoy that
entertainment dear (that I also thank you for.)
A strange, but useful item I will give thanks
for next to last. Fuzzy stick
[3], so comforting,
without this gift, how to ease the itchy ear?
Grateful beyond words for the day that you
implanted that idea into Johnson’s
[4] head.
Finally, I thank you Lord for something
impossible to hold (except in heart
or mind or memory.) The gift of noisy mirthful
joy burst forth from lungs with ease,
[5] on nights
of endless happiness spent with those I need.

[1] Also known as Ruby the cat.
[2] My DVR
[3] Q-tip
[4] Johnson & Johnson
[5] Laughter

~Rachael Jones

No comments: