Saturday, April 12, 2008

Poem of Amy Holbrook, an American

“Do you guess I have some intricate purpose?
Well I have...for the April rain has, and the mica on the side of a rock has."

This morning I watch the day break,
Gray but not bleak to me, for I have seen other sunrises…at daybreak we stand alone and silent,
Watching the world, tremendous, and knowing our place is in it.
I am alone, and by extension, I am not alone.

Last night I awoke to sounds all around me, in the middle of the night,
an acoustic guitar, a girl’s voice, sirens in the distance, the laughing of people outside my window,
They did not trouble me…I knocked on no doors.

These are the sounds of Life, and I am happy for them,
just as I am happy for my 6:21 silence…I stand at my window.
Out in that night, you were awake.

For I am your guardian this morning…as you sleep I contemplate.
I think not of you, but for you, as you have done for me.
I am off and running, but I will wait for you.

Wind! Rain! Still I am uncertain,
I am certain as I am uncertain…an answer will come to me in time.
I hold a book up to shield my face.
I walk past buildings. The campus is as a ghost town.
The sun has arisen, but light has not emerged.
I walk, thinking.

A war is raging on my shoulders, angel and devil,
Shouting above the whistle of the swift wind. Another shout.
My own voice...I throw them both aside.
For I am not the poet of good, nor the poet of evil. I am neither.
I speak for myself, as for you. The mostly okay.

In buildings, the heartbroken sleep fitfully. They will awaken soon, hungry,
though breakfast does not open until ten. Fret not, my compatriots,
for I have been among you and will be among you. I take my place.
We pass our nights the same. I watch days break for you.

No comments: