Friday, April 11, 2008

It's finally here again! Soon to be departed

I celebrate the weekend
And all the graciousness of its being
For everyone’s weekend which parallels mine down to the very atom

I slave and sacrifice myself over five days
I live and breathe papers, books, education and Spanish for the time being
I sleep when I can and catch my breath even less
This I still love for it is what I do
I wouldn’t have my weeks be any different for where they will lead will be great
And yet I trudge on as the leaders beat us to a pulp and watch us squirm and cry
Only to be saved by the sweet release of Friday and keeping us fully aware that hell begins three days later.

A class I was forced into and took much more than I cared too, soon it will be over
A poem much longer than I cared to read, passion soon erupts
Oral Tradition learned from paper and ink, thankfully ended
Literature of a foreign people becoming viable
Learning the art of learning and teaching, keeping the kids in mind
Making peace with grammar rules, to continue the power of teaching
A sigh of relief in the blissful afternoon air of Friday
A joyful conversation with friends that could last for days
Hanging out with good people opposed to spending money
Spending money and still hanging out with good people
The bartender recovering from our last visit still knowing our names
The bus driver ever jolly always up for a conversation
The bed, ever welcoming

The Sunday spent working in the back of the house
The air filled with the sweet perfume of Whoppers and Chicken and fries and salt
Even Sunday I celebrate for the people I work with
The fulltime employee looking forward to the next Friday
The three girls who make a slow morning go even quicker
The two hour long break in which nothing gets done
The night crew making sure everyone is busy at all time
I pleasantly make the meal that has been asked for, the meat for those who want and willingly pay the price
The shop will turn no one away nor leave anyone dissatisfied
This is the drop of the frozen patty
The wary hands covered in plastic and thoroughly washed
This is the drop of the burger onto wonderful bread and the addition of garments

I celebrate the weekend in every being of its fiber
But the days don’t stop changing and Monday will eventually come again
So next Friday at the bar I will again meet you.

No comments: