Saturday, January 26, 2008

A Pass to to the Right

following the 9th canto and into the 10th...


Passing to the right I heard screams unearthly
A trail of blood ribboned with white could guide me

Approaching a stank of festering bodies
I saw low hanging trees dripping with seed
[1]

Men hung from their purses and screamed to the heavens
While small hellish beetles feast on their bowls and ankles

There eyes sockets are empty and their ears are long gone
Not even lips protect their gnarly teeth

One man swung arms inches from earth
I looked close at his face and saw his foul mouth

I spoke, “You Malijeski, who abuses your kin
Speak now what you’ve learned from rotting within.”
[2]

He opened his mouth but spoke no words
Only puss and beetles poured out of his hole

Those men dangling higher dripped shit on his face
They fall one at a time taking limbs as they go

Looking up at the tree of Mazikanes and Motshegwas
[3]
I feel no pity in seeing them ripped in half at the crack

Their limbs hit first then their innards and brains
Their member stays dangling from thorny branches and waits

They scream and claw and bubble under tar
Until the screaming stops and a criada
[4] appears

Her arms were burned black, her face I could not see
Reaching in tar she found a piece of the man

By her making a doll the man reappeared on a branch
It seemed lower than before and his eyes were stark white

I had many questions but did not interfere
She waited for the rain of another man to wake him
[5]

We saw a bloody mix hit his face and come screaming alive
He squirmed and shrilled and looked around at his hell

The women flew from her spot and sewed up his manhood
Jabbing at him I sensed pleasure in her task

The needle glistened from were we watched
As she fastened himself to his legs and his rope
[6]

My guide pushed me to press on so I obeyed
I was scared now to see women who reflected the deeds

If they hang from their wombs I will not be surprised
But I pray these passings have made me the wiser.


[1] Referencing a man's seed; his semen.
[2] Malijeski raped and killed his wife and children, upon being seized showed no remorse.
[3] Lazarus Mazikane and Kaizer Motshegwa are responsible for the rape and murder of 53 girls.
[4] Spanish; a maid, specifically of the underworld.
[5] Only dripping piss, shit or semen from another man will wake him up.
[6] Stitched his testicles to his legs.

Question: Why did they turn to the right at the end of the 9th canto when in all other cantos they turn to the left?
I can only guess that since they are leaving the realm of incontinent sins and proceeding to violent sins that they change their direction as the severity of the sins increase. These sins also begin to involve harm against others directly.

No comments: