Saturday, January 26, 2008

Further Punishment for the False Prophets

Please insert this in Canto XX, between lines 24 and 25.

As I looked upon these poor twisted souls,
I could only wonder what could have caused
their spines to become as wrapped as a spring.

As I pondered the dilemma I heard
the most sickening sound that has ever fallen
upon these still suffering ears of mine.

In order to see what could have caused such
a terrible sound, I nearly forced my
neck to match the surrounding wretched shades.

Souls were constantly being hurled nearby
(as sinners are always judged by Minos)
and lined up with zeal before what awaited.

My view was obstructed from the point where
all of the damnéd souls were set to see
only what lay behind, never ahead.

My interest was terribly peaked and I
quickly ran to where the terrible deed
of spine setting was put into effect.

Oh the horror of what I saw makes me
cringe to this day, and I learned only the
fearsome roundhouse of Chuck could hit so hard.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Question: What did Dante do in life after writing "The Divine Comedy?"
According to Wikipedia, it seems Dante couldn't have done much between the time he completed "The Divine Comedy" and the time he (probably) died of malaria. Wikipedia proposes he may have contracted malaria in Venice while carrying out a diplomatic mission.
The tale of Dante's remains are more interesting, however. He was originally buried in Ravenna, where he had lived out the last few years of his life under the protection of Prince Guido Novello da Polenta. Florence, Dante's beloved hometown, realized how important Dante had become and built a shrine for his body, requesting it be returned. His bones remain in Ravenna to this day.

-Tristan Glazebrook
(nom de guerre of kyle simkins)

No comments: